requiem for John
Well, John travelled faithfully all the way with me from UK to the Bay of Bengal, kept me company and helped create some memorable times. But now I've done the dirty and dumped him in Orissa, at Puri beach. But I believe he's gone to a good owner. A local Indian in Puri who was auspiciouslyalso named John (Christian) and played well, but was being hampered by not having a decent guitar.
I gave up on trying to find a boat across the Bay of Bengal (they don't appear to exist - for passengers anyway) and took a flight from Calcutta to Bangkok,where I am now. Calcutta was dirty and a mess, but I survived the experience!
I was with an Aussie (called John) for a half-day who was mind-numblingly crude (like, really disgusting), but also friendly & helpful. There are plenty of backpackers around now, but only very occasionally do I find a kindred spirit with whom to feel comfortable. Strangely, I anticipated before leaving the UK that Indian and Thailand would be the most challenging for me on this aspect, mainly because the twenty-somethings are all in their cliquesand the locals don't find tourists a novelty/interesting. Still, it is a breath of fresh air to be back in civilisation here in Thailand and I'm hoping my zest for the journey will return before too long.
PS since posting the above, I've received a couple of emails from Ashish and Preetham (two of my dear Indian friends that I met in Kanha nat. park) who expressed upset over my parting of John and whether his new owner would be worthy. Will, let me reassure A and P and other readers that the new owner, also 'John' by name, is a committed musician, has been recorded on CD in Calcutta (for his singing, accompanied by other musicians) and asked me for the words and chords to 'Pale Blue Eyes' even before I'd thought of passing on the guitar to him. So, that particular song will not have seen its last with that guitar. John is setting up a project for local volunteers to litter-pick on the beach at Puri and is purchasing rubbish baskets for this purpose (I gave a small donation). The beach really needs this. He also teaches science voluntarily in the local school (and was trying to set me up to do the same, but I'd already arranged my flight). So, I think he should be a worth owner - if only he'd let me beat him at chess, just the *once* !!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home