Monday, January 09, 2006

camal safari & Thar desert

So, I'm back in Jodhpur after a sojurn in the great Thar desert. I've been on a two day camel safari that had me sleeping under the stars on top of a 100 foot sand dune with the expanse of the desert stretching in all directions - wow! Sunset and sunrise were both wonderful and I was inspired to resume yoga under the moonlight after a couple of months omission of the routine.

Away from Jaiselmer, we were in an area where no-one else does camel safaris and it was just me and the two local guides, so I had a real treat of peace and silence away from the bustle of the Indian cities. Just a small bottle of whisky with the dinner they cooked and we had all we needed. The chapati breads were baked by throwing directly onto the buffalo shit fire! I considered that the fire must sterilise them and so just enjoyed the added flavour that this heating method imparted....

The guides both slept under the camel cart, but I opted for an unobstructed view of the night sky and periodically awoke through the night to see the milky way, Leo (my sign), shooting stars and finally Jupiter rising over the horizon.

The desert was not an empty 'Sahara' type sea of un-ending sand dunes. Rather, there was plenty of life around. Deer, foxes, birds, strange-shaped trees dotted around. An enchanting place altogether.

Our small travel group seems now to be going their separate ways, with Melissa having left already and probably me resuming my eastward travel tomorrow. I did a couple more paintings of the fort here, which has been keeping my occupied.

I still haven't resolved how I'm going to get across to SE Asia without flying - there is no obvious way :-(

This website looks interesting though, sent an email to 'Tom'.

http://karaka.site.voila.fr/

Sleep well all

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I did not know that India also has dessert camel safari.
I just tried my first ever camel ride in the bedouin tent in Jordan few weeks ago.
definitely I will put the jaiselmer in my travel plan.
Thank you for sharing.
tiur

1:53 PM  
Blogger Gruff said...

Hi Tiur,
Sorry, I only just saw your comment - good to hear from you! The camel safari was great fun, I think best if you can do it where I did as Jaiselmer can get a bit crowded.
Good luck,
Gareth

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home