Saturday, December 17, 2005

I heard from a British friend I made on the road that when he and his family were crossing Afghanistan, their bus was held up by a boy with a rifle. The boy fired a few bullets through the bus, one of them went through the windows from one side to the other and close by my friends wife, shattering the glass which cut her hand. They were very shaken up, but OK now. So, I'm glad I chose not to go that way!

So, I've crossed over the border into India. It's nice to see women on the streets, something about Pakistan I I didn't like was the all-male environment outside. I never did meet Hamed's wife - even after staying in their house for five days! I've been upset all day because Hamed and I had a bit of a tiff just before he dropped me off. Hamed has been putting me up in Lahore for the past several days and he's been really, really (too) hospitable, but unfortunately that didn't stop met getting irritatable and I miserably failed to keep my cool at the last minute
:-( We disagreed over where I should get out of the car and we drove around the bus station as he suggested different places where I should catch the bus to the border. In expasperation I pretty much just told him to let me out. Oops! I'll try and make it up with a letter.

I'm now in Amritsar - the golden temple is fantastic! I've also solved the mystery as to where all the UK sparrows have gone. They're here - millions of them flying over the temple lake and roosting in the trees. I'm actually bedding down in a guest building here in the temple area. It's free sleeping and free food with donations accepted.

Then it's off to Dharamsala on Sunday for an audience with the Dalai Lama (well, queuing up for a bow, with hundreds of others - if he's at home, that is!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home