Wednesday, November 23, 2005

life in Karimabad

I've been staying at the World Roof hotel in Karimabad for the last 10 days or so. Panoramic views over the Hunza valley and Ragaposhi mountain looms over the bedroom balcony. At 7,800 metres, it's only a few thousand feet lower than Everest! This beautiful place is a snip at 3 quid for a double room - the place could do with some heating, though :-(
I've been trekking up to Ultar peak base camp and dodging avalanches along the way - also trying to dodge hearing too much about my guides love-life!
Hired a different guide and jeep for a safari to upper Hunza yesterday - glaciers and rickety suspension bridges with BIG gaps! Only 40 miles from China.
It's cold, but also sunny with blue skies and warm during the day on my balcony overlooking the Hunza valley.Sunbathing in the underwear today! So, I'm sitting there reading about space, dimensions and maths and will shortly be putting my own ideas in writing. Will be heading south and for warmer climes (India) in a couple of weeks
I'll be heading down from Karimabad back to Gilgit on Friday. Need to extend my 1-month Pakistan visa. The following week I'm helping out at one of the local schools with English teaching (actually 12 km away in Sultanabad), not far from the devastated quake zone.
It's 6.40pm and the thermometer is beginning it's daily plummet - brrrrrhhhhh!
Gareth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home